Block a Website in Windows 10 without third party software: Sometimes we used to look for a way to block websites, of course for a reason. Likewise, a parent looks for this step to possibly let their children use the internet by blocking some harmful websites.
Mostly we take the use of installed Anti-virus software in the system in order to block the particular website. Websites that are not meant for children or websites you know can be malicious, or such kind of.
So it is actually important to monitor your children’s online activity blocking such websites manually.
Not only just parents, anyone be in need of this. Like for me, I used to block websites which distract me a lot.
In this blog post, I’ll tell you the easiest way to Block a Website in Windows 10 without third party software. Yeah, that’s a great thing, isn’t it as you don’t require any such third party software to accomplish that task?
Well, let’s dive into the step below.
Block a Website in Windows 10 without third party software
Items you require to configure a site to block in Windows 10
- Hosts File
- Notepad (or better if you have Notepad++)
- And of course the website name
We need to add the Website name in the Hosts file by using Notepad (or Notepad++)
Step-1: Locate the hosts file
Here is the direct link of the Hosts file.
- You can copy the path and paste it on your File Explorer and hit enter to reach the folder where the Hosts file located.
- Or, you can open that file folder after folder manually.
To manually reach the file, follow the steps below
- Go to C drive, usually written as Local Disk(C:) (the system drive where your Windows 10 is installed)
- Then Open Windows folder
- Scroll down and find another folder within this folder name System32
- And then open the Drivers folder
- Here you will get to see a folder named etc where the hosts file is located.
This is the file we need to find.
Step-2: Open the hosts file
- If you have installed Notepad++ in your computer, you just need to select the Hosts file and right-click to edit with Notepad++
- Unless you don’t, open your normal Notepad and drag and drop the Hosts file to your normal Notepad.
This is how you can open the Hosts file in your computer.
After opening the file in Notepad, our next step is to add the website or the list of websites we are going to block in our Windows 10.
Step-3: Edit the hosts file
You just need to add the name of the website or list of websites in a pattern in the bottom of the Hosts file.
The pattern is as follows,
So here is the IP 127.0.0.1 you need to type and then after one space you need to type the website in this format www.example.com
Then just save the file.
(Don’t do save as, just save it by pressing CTRL+S)
That’s all you need to do. You have successfully block that particular site.
In my case I added Facebook, let see does it work or not.
Yeah, it works. By doing this you can completely block any website in your Windows 10. It doesn’t matter which browser you’re using, (in any mode, like, incognito, or guest) the website won’t gonna open up until you remove the pattern from the Hosts file.
Read related: How to set the internet data limit in Windows 10 2004
What is that hosts file for?
It’s a system file a user can access for the…
- Purposely blocking malicious websites for security issues,
- Developers use for testing programs and web applications,
- Network administrators can use it for the purpose of testing the connection.
Why to add 127.0.0.1?
This IP address 127.0.0.1 is known as localhost. This IP will not allow computers to communicate. In a simple way to give you an understanding real quick about it that if you type in 127.0.0.1 in your browser and hit enter, you will see the similar page I attached above, “The site can’t be reached“.
We take use of this to instruct our computer not to communicate with that particular website.