Windows 10 is one of the most powerful operating systems with so many great features. Windows 10 is the final version of Microsoft that has released in July 2015. In this update, the search bar, and the AI-Assistant, Cortana has added. You can find anything just typing the name in the search bar. That makes a user find anything real quick. But I personally faced many times that the windows 10 search bar not working.
So in this article, I’ll go through all the possible fixes that you can do on your own to get back your Windows 10 search bar in working conditions again.
So, let’s dig into the processes.
Why is Windows 10 Search Bar Not Working?
The problem mostly occurs after Windows 10 updates to the newest version. Sometimes the AI-Assistant, Cortana consumes high CPU. As a result, the search bar will not be working or stuck in a blank search result screen.
Try out all the suggestions to fix it up I’m going to mention in details below. Your problem will be solved for sure.
How to Fix Windows 10 Search Bar Not Working Issue
I am going to give you in-depth details of each step regarding this issue. You can try one by one each step in your Windows 10 PC or Laptop until your Windows 10 search bar starts working again.
Note: You don’t need to follow the further steps ahead if you already fixed it up.
1. Restart Your Device
First of all, just do a restart. Because of most of the Windows 10 errors fix-up by a simple restart. If you didn’t restart your Windows 10 device then do it right away.
Note: Restart your device regularly. It will completely shut down your device and then reboot it. Because, when we shut down our device, it basically goes to hibernate mode without turning it completely off.
2. Run Windows 10 Troubleshooter
Windows 10 built-in troubleshooter is there for you to fix commonly found issues in your device. Most of the time troubleshooter doesn’t work out. But it will show you the issues that you can learn and fix it in a different way.
How to Open Troubleshoot?
- Open Windows 10 settings. You can open the setting in two easy ways. Press Windows + I or hit the start icon and then select the gear icon to open settings.
- Now select Update and Security from the Windows setting menu.
- On the Update and Security window, click on the Troubleshoot option from the left-hand menu.
- Scroll through the Troubleshoot lists and there you’ll find, “Search and Indexing“. Click on it.
- Now click on Run the troubleshooter.
- A new window will open up with a list of problems asking you to choose which ones you’re facing. Check the box if your problem is listed there and hit next. The troubleshooter will start its process and after finishing, it will show you a confirmation window about that issue whether it solved or not.
The windows 10 search bar not working might solve in this step. If still, it is not working, then keep on reading next.
3. Check the Search Service is Enabled
Windows Search service may automatically be stopped running after update to a new version. This problem can be easily fixed if this is the only issue.
Here all you need to check is the Windows Search running or it. If it’s running and still windows 10 search bar not working, you can move to the next step. If it’s not running then just enable it.
To turn it on or to check whether it’s running or not open the Services window.
How to open the Services window?
- Do a Right-click on the Start icon and select Run. (Shortcut key: Windows key + R)
- Now type “Services.msc” and click on OK.
- Now scroll down through the services list and find Windows Search. It will be close to the bottom.
- If Windows Search is running, then select it and right-click on it, Hit the Restart option from that menu.
- Similarly, if it is not running or showing no status, then double click on it, (or select and right-click and hit on the properties from that menu) a new window will open up.
- Now the general tab will be automatically open up there.
- Select Automatic from the drop-down menu next to Startup Type.
- Now click Apply and then OK.
Do a restart and check it out whether the windows search bar is working perfectly or not.
4. Update Windows 10 Search Indexing
What if Windows 10 forget where to index or what to show?
Try reconstructing the Windows 10 search indexing.
To rebuild the search indexing, do the following steps:
- Open Control Panel.
- Shortcut for opening Control Panel: Win Key + R, type Control Panel and hit OK
- Over there on the Control Panel Dashboard, select Large Icon from the top-right option.
- Find Indexing Options from the menu and open it.
- Click on the Advanced button (if administrator approval need, allow it)
- Click on Rebuild and then hit OK. The process of rebuilding will begin. It may take several minutes depending on the sizes of the indexing of the files.
Restart your device and check it out whether this time the windows search bar not working problem fixed or not.
Sometimes updating your Windows 10
5. Registry Edit and Fix Windows 10 Search Bar not Working
This method is a bit sensitive. Follow all the steps carefully because you need to do some changes in Windows 10 registry editor.
This method is the ultimate method to fix that issue.
Steps that need to be followed:
- Open Run (Windows Key + R)
- Type: REGEDIT and click and give administrator permission.
- Select HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- Find Software and click on it
- Select Windows
- Find Current Version
- From there select Search
- Now right-click on the right any black space and create NEW, select DWORD (32bit) Value
- Rename it with BingSearchEnabled
- Double Click on it, a new mini pop-up window will open up. Set the value data 0 (zero) and then close it
- Now, open CortanaConsent and set the value data 0 (zero)
- Close the Registry Editor Window
- Restart your device
If you are getting confused with the following steps, go with the video guide.
I’m predicting that this way your problem Windows 10 Search Bar not Working will solve.
6. Update your Windows 10
Check is there any updates available in the Windows Update section. Sometimes updating your Operating system will solve the problem.
Read more about the new updates of Microsoft Windows 10
Note: Always keep up to date your PC for the latest features and latest security updates.
These are all the methods that you can go through to fix the search bar of Windows 10 not working problem. In my case, the last method worked for me. If you need any further information regarding this issue, you can ask in the comment section.